[Eric] Re: Simplified installation?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 19 13:47:38 BST 2007

On 19.06.07 12:19:19, techtonik wrote:
> Phil Thompson <phil at ...> writes:
> > On Tuesday 19 June 2007 8:31 am, techtonik wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > What makes Eric so unpopular is the absence of all-in-one installer. Some
> > > of Eric prerequisites are not available for Windows platform in compiled
> > > form (QScintilla, PyQT). QScintilla is distributed in source form only
> > > requiring additional dependencies like SIP to be built. PyQT has binaries,
> > > but they are for Python 2.5 only, so the same compilation problem is
> > > actual. That means you have to download MinGW, gcc and maybe other packages
> > > required for compilation. You can easily spend an hour or even two manually
> > > installing Eric - searching for required files, compiling dependencies and
> > > loooking for workarounds for common problems, such as "ImportError: No
> > > module named sipconfig". I do not mind when J2EE monster takes two hours to
> > > complete the installation, because at least it makes it in a background.
> > >
> > > Right now I doubt that Eric installation is possible at all on Windows.
> > > There is only one version of QSintilla component available from official
> > > site and it's of version 2.1 that is claimed to be API incompatible with
> > > 2.0 required for Eric.
> > >
> > > For most of the users, who just want a convenient Python editor this
> > > installation procedure is overwhelming. I wonder what makes it so hard to
> > > redistribute a complete binary installer for windows built for Pythons 2.4
> > > and 2.5?
> >
> > Please read recent posts on the subject.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Even after reading recent posts I've decided to build Eric myself. After two and
> a half hours of downloading all prerequisites and struggling with building and
> installing sip from MSYS/MinGW I've stuck with compiling PyQt.
>
> Any ideas what these error messages below are about?
>

> C:\WorkSpace\Eric IDE\Prerequisites\PyQt-win-gpl-4.2>configure.py -w -p win32-g++
> Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
> C:\Tools\Qt4\qmake\qmake.exe -o qtdirs.mk qtdirs.pro
> QMAKESPEC has not been set, so configuration cannot be deduced.
> Error processing project file: qtdirs.pro
> Error: C:\Tools\Qt4\qmake\qmake.exe failed to create a makefile. Make sure you
> have a working Qt v4 qmake on your PATH or use the -q argument to explicitly
> specify a working Qt v4 qmake.

This basically means that your qmake can't create Makefile's from a
project file. Try running qmake qtdirs.pro in the pyqt source folder.

> C:\WorkSpace\Eric IDE\Prerequisites\PyQt-win-gpl-4.2>set QMAKESPEC=win32-g++
>

> C:\WorkSpace\Eric IDE\Prerequisites\PyQt-win-gpl-4.2>configure.py -w -p win32-g++
> Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
> C:\Tools\Qt4\qmake\qmake.exe -o qtdirs.mk qtdirs.pro
> Could not find mkspecs for your QMAKESPEC(win32-g++) after trying:
>         C:/iwmake/build_mingw_opensource\mkspecs
> Error processing project file: qtdirs.pro

Obviously qmake tries to find the mkspecs in a directory where they
don't exist. Did you build Qt yourself or did you download the binary
pacakge?

Also as I said on the pyqt list: Don't use MSYS, use plain cmd.exe.

Andreas

--
You will reach the highest possible point in your business or profession.