[Eric] Simplified installation?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 19 21:32:31 BST 2007

On 19.06.07 07:31:59, techtonik wrote:
> Hello.
>
> What makes Eric so unpopular is the absence of all-in-one installer. Some of
> Eric prerequisites are not available for Windows platform in compiled form
> (QScintilla, PyQT). QScintilla is distributed in source form only requiring
> additional dependencies like SIP to be built. PyQT has binaries, but they are
> for Python 2.5 only, so the same compilation problem is actual. That means you
> have to download MinGW, gcc and maybe other packages required for compilation.
> You can easily spend an hour or even two manually installing Eric - searching
> for required files, compiling dependencies and loooking for workarounds for
> common problems, such as "ImportError: No module named sipconfig". I do not
> mind when J2EE monster takes two hours to complete the installation, because
> at least it makes it in a background.
>
> Right now I doubt that Eric installation is possible at all on Windows. There
> is only one version of QSintilla component available from official site and it's
> of version 2.1 that is claimed to be API incompatible with 2.0 required for Eric.
>
> For most of the users, who just want a convenient Python editor this
> installation procedure is overwhelming. I wonder what makes it so hard to
> redistribute a complete binary installer for windows built for Pythons 2.4
> and 2.5?

Hmm, Maybe I'm already too used to the quirks of win32, but for me
installing eric4 worked perfectly fine (without MSYS of course). I
already had Qt4.3 compiled from sources (actually qt-copy from KDE's
svn) and Python installed too. So I went ahead and installed the latest
sip release . No other problems here. Then
installed QScintilla2, absolutely no problems. After that I installed
PyQt4, 2 problems, small bug in configure.py here wrt. a missing
QMAKE_CFLAGS_THREAD variable in mkspecs/default/qmake.conf. The other
one is that sip generates a wrong Qt path in the Makefile (it uses /
instead of \). Both really easy to solve - IMHO. Then I built and
installed the python wrappers for QScintilla and that had the same
slash-problem for the installation as PyQt itself.

Last thing is eric4, only problem here was the need to copy
qscintilla2.dll into Qt's bin directory because the lib dir is not in
PATH. Thats all, eric4 now runs and shows its configuration dialog.

Yes this is not straight forward (and AFAIK Phil will provide eric4
packages sooner or later, can't recall if he said with the next release
or earlier), but the problems are not that big either. Also I reported
these three to Phil already so I expect them to be fixed soon.

Andreas

--
Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.