[Eric] eric4 inserts control characters on Ctrl+S when file was already saved

Jürgen Urner jUrner at arcor.de
Sat Jun 23 13:52:51 BST 2007

Detlev Offenbach wrote:

>> Why do you disable the save action in the first place?
>>

> It is disabled, if the editor in question hasn't been modified.

Reminds me a bit on (windows) Notepad. It used to throw a message
at the user:

    There are no changes to be saved - Ok | Cancel

...wich left zillions of users headshaking. Stupid thing. Is it so hard
to save anyways?

Actually it serves a purpose except from not prohibiting what is doing
no harm.
Saving an unmodified buffer should cause another application with the same
buffer open to update.

>> Saving every now and
>> then is doing no harm. Or is disabling the save action meant to stop the
>> user
>> from doing something potentially evil?
>>
>> Another thought. If a (any) shortcut is no longer eaten up by an action
>> and passed to scintilla one might get unexpected results every now and
>> then. Why not install an event filter to eat up those shortcuts?
>>

> Should QScintilla ignore control characters, i.e. chars < 32?

As far as I can see one can get scintilla to ignore these chars on
keyboard input.
see (old post):
http://www.lyra.org/pipermail/scintilla-interest/2001-October/000020.html

If one wants to play around with control chars use CharTables.

Jürgen