[Eric] Re: Simplified installation?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 17:13:08 BST 2007

On 25.06.07 15:45:16, techtonik wrote:

> > > Those imply Qt installation problems. Your path to qmake looks odd, you
> > > would expect it to be in a "bin" directory.
> >
> > Well, actually that is ok if you've built qt4 on windows. Because
> > there's no make install possible on windows and thus bin/qmake.exex ==
> > qmake/qmake.exe.
> >

> Actually changing qmake path to C:\Tools\Qt4\bin\qmake.exe helped (one of those
> kinds of magic that really suxx). In addition it appeared that I didn't have
> mingw32-make.exe in my installation on MinGW, because it is never installed by
> default. So I have to add MinGW distribution installed by Qt to PATH.

First of all: This is the wrong list for this stuff, please use the pyqt
mailinglist for things that are related to building pyqt.

Apart from that: MinGW only has gcc selected by default (IIRC), so you
as well need to add g++ already.  Why is it a problem to also having to
add make?

> mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/WorkSpace/_2compile/Eric
> IDE/Prerequisites/PyQt-win-gpl-4.2'
> release\qtdirs.exe
> Error: release\qtdirs.exe failed to create qtdirs.out. Make sure your Qt v4
> installation is correct.
>
> Well, the last message was due to the absence of Qt4Core.dll in PATH. Added it
> as well, but isn't it qmake what should have added it automatically?

No, why should qmake fiddle with your path? I don't know how the binary
Qt package is laid out, but I guess its bin/ dir contains the dll's, so
all you have to do is adding the bin/ dir to PATH (which is AFAIK what
the Entry in the Qt/Trolltech menu does)

> Error: C:\Tools\Qt4\mkspecs\default\qmake.conf: macro 'QMAKE_CFLAGS_THREAD' is
> not defined.

I already reported that to Phil, obviously Qt4.3 changed this and he
didn't see it. Its also only happening on win32, for whatever reason.

> Now the famous QMAKE_CFLAGS_THREAD. I doesn't seem that patching Qt4 is a good
> idea, but there is no other choice so far.

Why is patching Qt4 not a good idea? Its the easiest workaround. You may
of course also fix PyQt and send a patch to the pyqt mailinglist so Phil
doesn't need to find the right way to handle this.

> At least I've managed to start compilation! Well, it took about 2 hours with
> your hints. Good I've stumbled upon this group. Still waiting another 30 minutes
> to complete compilation.. I guess I have to check it tomorrow.

Did you try the -c -j <num> flags? They increase compiling speed by
large factors because mingw only has to compile n files not a couple
dozens.

> Thanks for support. Tomorrow I'll start with QScintilla and hopefully I will see
> Eric by Wednesday. =)

I don't know what type of system you have, but the 1.5GHz AMD I have here
for win32 took less than 2 hours to build and install PyQt, QScintilla
and eric4.

Unfortunately I have to say that eric4 is close to unusable in parts on
win32. The tree views are dead-slow on opening/closing branches, while
they're fine in plain C++ apps and on linux.

Andreas

--
You are confused; but this is your normal state.