[Eric] Bus Error running eric's install.py at qVersion() call

Curtis Faith curtis at worldhouse.org
Sat Jun 30 22:47:05 BST 2007

I'm having one hell of a time installing Eric4 on a brand new Intel
MacBook running OS X 10.4.10

This is my fourth failed attempt at installing eric in the last year,
and the first one on a Unix-based OS. If I can't get this to work
soon, I will pick another IDE, I have spent about a solid day on this
on this go around and am stuck on what should be the last easy step.

I have everything installed except the last step, and I have double-
checked the order three times. I installed the latest versions of
everything including:

Python-2.5.1
qt-mac-opensource-4.3.0
sip-4.6
PyQt-mac-gpl-4.2
QScintilla-1.73-gpl-2.1

The command:

sudo python install.py

results in:

Bus Error

I installed a new version of Python 2.5.1 and modified it to include
the debugging symbols and tried running gdb and get:

curtis-faiths-computer:~/Desktop/eric4-4.0.0 curtis$ gdb python
install.py
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-573) (Fri Oct 20 15:50:43
GMT 2006)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
shared libraries .. done

"/Users/curtis/Desktop/eric4-4.0.0/install.py" is not a core dump:
File format not recognized
(gdb) run
Starting program: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
bin/python
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x8fe01010 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
(gdb)

The bt command results in only the single entry for
__dyld__dyld_start ()

This appears to be the call to dynamically load a shared library on
Darwin as best I can tell.

I placed print statements inside install.py to find out that the
following call:

	qtMajor = int(qVersion().split('.')[0])

is causing the Bus Error. Specifically the call to "qVersion()". This
tells me that there is probably something wrong with the PyQt
installation or SIP but I have no idea what it might be or how to
proceed.

Does anyone have any idea how I can figure out what might be causing
this problem?

- Curtis