[Eric] Slow eric4

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Aug 9 08:23:11 BST 2008

On Freitag, 8. August 2008, Łukasz Szweda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a similar problem. From one of the 4.1.x versions I noticed a
> considerable decrease in performance of Eric4. Process Explorer shows
> 100% CPU usage by the pythonw.exe process. It lasts usually few seconds
> during which Eric is unresponsive and it can happen couple of times in
> one minute.
> I downloaded the latest snapshot (eric4-4.2-snapshot-20080802) and the
> same thing happens. I have disabled all autocompletions, calltips,
> wordwrap (someone wrote that it helped him) and some other features that
> I thought could cause this slowness, but no luck. I have a feeling that
> Eric tries to parse the project files and the included libraries, even
> when I have all parsing-requiring features disabled.

Not really. The project browser windows (e.g. source files view) is updated
upon saving of a file belonging to the project. The parsing time depends on
the size of the file and not the project.

> Simple test is to add a space and save a project. For one of small
> projects it lasts 1-2 seconds, but I also have a not-so-big one that
> takes 5-10 seconds to save a file. The latter uses Elixir, wxPython,
> ObjectListView and a few standard Python libraries.
> Is there a way to check what Eric is doing at a particular moment? If
> not then I can just zip my whole Python installation and put it, for
> example on RapidShare so you could do the debugging. I like your IDE
> very much but I am getting quite frustrated with this... It would be
> nice if this bug could be fixed. I will try to provide any help I can...

What is the size of your main memory. Maybe your computer starts to swap.

> BTW. I have no idea how to reply to the original topic ;) Could you give
> me some pointers of how to use this mailing list? ;)

Are you signed up to the mailing list? If so just work with it like with every
other mailing list.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de