[Eric] font settings shift when saving a new file

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 22:38:37 BST 2008

Hi Detlev,

On Monday 21 July 2008 01:32:20 pm Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Montag, 21. Juli 2008, Darren Dale wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I create a new file, the fonts initially respect the settings from
> > the preferences dialog, which is DejaVu Sans Mono (same font for all
> > eric4's fonts, and I have the "use monospace as default" box checked).
> > When I save this new file (as .py or .c, for example), the fonts change
> > from monospaced to some kind of sans serif. If I close the file and
> > reopen it, I get the monospaced fonts back.
> >
> > Its a minor issue, but its been around for as long as I can remember. I
> > probably should have reported it earlier. I'm currently using the 4.2
> > release candidate.
>
> In order to track it down, I have to have more info.
>
> 1. When you edit the file, what is the language set to?

How do I find this information? I think it is english utf8, and my locale is
US_en, which eric complains about when I start from the command line:

Warning: translation file 'qt_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Warning: translation file 'eric4_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_US'could not be loaded.
Using default.

> 2. Do you have a lexer configured for e.g. Python (if saving to .py)?

yes, I am using the defaults and .py is set to Python, c to C++

> 3. Is there a font set to a kind of sans serif?

No, all my fonts are set to DejaVu sans mono.

> 4. If possible step by step instructions because I haven't seen this yet.

It's really simple to run into on my machine:

open eric
click file->new button or menu option
type jibberish
save as .py