[Eric] Tutorial needed: "How to import/debug existing Python programs"

Fritz Katz frtzkatz at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 08:21:00 BST 2008

Hello,

   I'm looking for a tutorial on "How to import/debug existing Python programs in Eric".  (I'm new to Python and Eric so please be gentle).

  Here's what I've done so far:

  1) Create a new project: "Project -> New"

  2) 'Project -> Add Directory...' to recurse through the directories containing the Python files and add them to the project.

  3) Enable a breakpoint near the beginning of 'class MainWindow()'.

  However, both the 'Start' and the 'Debug' menu is completely grey'd out and I can't select any items -- so I can't start the process or step through the program.

  Does the program need to be re-compiled or some flags need to be added to the Makefile to enable debugging?

  Seems like this would be good place for such a tutorial:

   http://ericide.python-hosting.com/wiki/Doc/Tutorials

 ... too bad it's not there yet. If we succeed in figuring out how to do it, perhaps we can add it to the Wiki.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,
-- Fritz Katz.