[Eric] Where in the disk is Eric Sanconfig?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue May 27 18:34:01 BST 2008

On Montag, 26. Mai 2008, Nicola Larosa wrote:
> Where's the eric4 config file?
>
> I just upgraded to Ubuntu Hardy, and hence from eric3 to eric4 (4.1.1),
> and wanted to reuse my finely honed eric3 config file, without having to
> painstakingly re-set all styles and stuff in the dialog.
>
> I looked in ~/.eric4 , ~/.qt , in the Ubuntu package. I searched the
> wiki, the ML archive, and the Google: nothing.
>
> lsof did not help either, nor did perusing the code.
>
> (By the way, an architectural intro to the code structure would be
> useful. Is there anything of the sort around?)
>
> I finally launched eric under strace and boy, is there a lot going on.
> There's a vicious cycle going all the time, while the program is not
> doing anything.
>
> Anyway, after quitting the program, I scrolled back and found out: it's
> in ~/.config/Eric4 .

That is exactly the correct place to use. The eric3 setting cannot be
transfered to eric4, you have to reconfigure it upon the first use.

> What's this ~/.config thing anyway? There are about ten entries there,
> mostly XFCE stuff, and gtkfilechooser. eric is indeed using the ~/.eric4
> folder too.
>
> Oh, look, an eric4_error.log file, here it is:

>----- 2008-05-26, 20:03:10
>----- <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>:
> 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'layoutDisplay'
>----- File "/usr/share/eric/modules/Project/ProjectBrowser.py", line 232, in
> __currentChanged
>     browser.layoutDisplay()

>----- Version Numbers:
>   Python 2.5.2
>   Qt 4.4.0
>   PyQt4 4.3.3
>   sip 4.7.3
>   QScintilla 2-snapshot-20070923
>   eric4 4.1.1 (r1972)
>

> Well, it's good being back; I stopped following the PyQt ML years ago.
> Sorry for the stream-of-consciousness style post. :-)

You should update eric4 to the latest release when using Qt 4.4 because
Trolltech made an API change that cause the observed problem. eric 4.1.4 (and
the latest 4.2 snapshots) include a fix.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de