[Eric] Is eric4 in version control somewhere?

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Oct 22 17:08:23 BST 2008

On Dienstag, 21. Oktober 2008, John-Scott Atlakson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Detlev Offenbach
>
> <detlev at die-offenbachs.de>wrote:
> > That sounds great. Would it be possible to host the eric web site under
> > eric-ide.org as well. How would I get access to this (via FTP)? If you
> > could
> > provide the post-commit hook as a Python script or a bash script, that
> > would
> > be good. However, I think svnsync on your side would be the better
> > solution (according to the docs).
> >

> > --
> > Detlev Offenbach
> > detlev at die-offenbachs.de
>
> Are you just wanting to upload your static html files and snapshots (maybe
> there is more to the site than meets the eye?)?

Exactly. Just relocate the current eric web site.

> If you want, I could whip up a simple Django application for the site. I
> could take your static html files and convert them into pages that could be
> editible via admin as well.

Sounds good. I played a little bit with Django in order to create the eric4
Django plugin and I liked it.

> I probably won't have ftp installed, but I
> could set you up with ssh access so you could scp files if necessary.

Most of the files won't change very often. It's mostly the News page and
possibly the screenshots page, if I make major changes to the GUI.

> But I
> really don't mind writing up a Django based site for the project. I could
> easily setup an RSS feed for news (in case people want to learn of new
> releases but don't want to sign up for the mailing list or whatever) etc.

An RSS feed connected with the News page would be great.

> don't know what your process is for generating the snapshots, but I could
> also rig something up for web-based one click generation (insert an svn
> revision and voila) if you are selective about which revisions you release
> as snapshots (which could also have a feed).

I am rather selective because I commit often and not all commits are suitable
for the public. In addition to that, the snapshot is built from the source by
a script. However, it doesn't do any magic and I could provide it to you to
hook it up to Django. That way I could initiate a remote sync of the
repository, and a built of the snapshot packages. Another alternative would
be to do it like it's done today and upload the files via scp (or some other
means).

> Otherwise I could just whip up
> a cron job to auto package nightly svn checkouts.

I'd vote against that.

> Django web development is
> my day job, so I'm more than happy to use this skill to contribute until I
> am able to contribute actual code to the project.

I am very pleased with offeres and would like to thank you.

> Did you already grab the eric-ide.org url?

No.

> Do you want me to? I don't mind,
> they aren't that expensive.

Unfortunately, from Germany they are, if they are not .de domains.

> I believe godaddy.com (I don't really like
> them, but I've already registered several domains with them and they are
> cheap) allows me to add other users to manage the domain, so you'd still
> have control.

I don't want to manage the domain.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de