[Eric] a pair of questions/suggestions

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Sep 27 15:16:48 BST 2008

On Samstag, 27. September 2008, Linos wrote:
> Hello,
> 	do have eric a feature like the "ctrl+shift+f" of eclipse for autoformat?
> should be great, i am refactoring old code limiting the maximum number of
> characters for line and would be really helpful for that, anyway to develop
> new code it is really nice to not have to get any attention on correct
> formatting to later use the feature and get formatted it.

There are languages out there, where the source format is part of the syntax
(e.g. Python uses indentation). Therfore I think, that feature would not be
good. However, I might have misunderstood, what this feature is supposed to
do.

> About the typing helps i love the automatic insertion of ending parenthesis
> after opening it, and the space after the comma, but when i am refactoring
> it is really annoying, for example.
>
> if i have this list in a line and try to change it for a tuple [1, 2]  i
> get this on the first opening parenthesis ()[1, 2] and ever have to delete
> it, the same problem with the comma logically, if it is difficult to know
> exactly when to add the closing parenthesis (maybe if you have a char just
> after the new parenthesis?) i think the typing help should have a easy and
> fast "change editing mode" to select refactoring or anything else.

The editor context menu will have an entry to toggle this. That will be part
of the next eric4 snapshot.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de