[Eric] PyLint plugin not producing any output

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sun Dec 6 10:31:31 GMT 2009

On Saturday 05 December 2009, 18:46:47 detlev wrote:
> On Dienstag, 1. Dezember 2009, Dan Bullok wrote:
> > On advice from Mikhail Terekhov, I put an empty __init__.py file in the
> >  same directory as my project.  PyLint works properly now.  I don't
> > really understand this requirement, as I run PyLint on single files
> > from the command line all the time.  And if it is a requirement, then
> > it should definitely be stated clearly in the PyLint dialog that it
> > only works on packages, and suggest that the user put an empty
> > __init__.py file in the project directory if they are not already
> > working on a package. -Dan
>
> The PyLint plugin is used to check the project (that's why it is
> accessible via the project menu). pylint -h gives you the following
> output.
>
> Usage:  pylint [options] module_or_package
>
> That clearly indicates, that pylint only works on modules and packages.
> Consequently the project's main directory must be a package. Should eric4
> generate an empty __init__.py file, if it doesn't discover one in the
> project dir?

It sounds like Dan tries to exploit the module case, but that would require
a way to invoke pylint on a concrete module only. Since pylinting is a
costly operation timewise, this mode would make sense anyway, e.g. first
run pylint on the project, and during fixing the issues, check again
modulewise.

Pete