[Eric] debugging question

Martin Bures needemesleepe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 05:34:18 GMT 2009

I am familiar with Wing IDE from work.  When I hit an exception using that
IDE, it breaks where the exception occurred, gives me the back trace in a
side window and gives me control of the program from the command line at the
exception point.  Eric seems to give me much the same which I really like
but I have one question: in Wing, I can browse the various namespaces at the
point of each call point in the backtrace.  Therefore, if an exception
happens in some library that happens to catch it but not in my code, I click
on the one that corresponds to the namespace of my code.  Then the stack
window refreshes and I can use the command line from that namespace.  Eric
allows me to view that slice of the stack and it allows me to navigate the
backtrace but I cannot figure out how to get the debug console to switch to
the desired namespace.  Can this be done?

Also, can you control the depth to which the debugger follows the code?  I
am using SQLAlchemy and when I debug my code, it gets really slow - could
this be a function of how deep the debugger follows the code?  This also
seems to manifest itself when stepping through the code, it continually
descends into the SQLAlchemy code which I don't really want to do.

Anyway, I really like the IDE.
Best regards,
martin.