[Eric] Stepping through programs containing package imports which are in .egg format

Geert Vancompernolle geert.eric4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:20:03 GMT 2009

Hi,

Just installed the package Elixir to be able to follow a nice tutorial I
found on the web (http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/stories/BBS47.html).

After running the command "setup.py install" for the Elixir package, the
resulting file is called "Elixir-0.6.1-py2.6.egg" and is stored in the
directory <python_installation>/Lib/site-packages.

However, while debugging an application that has the "from elixir import
*" statement, I get the following error message popping up when trying
to step into (not step over, because that doesn't give any problems!!!)
the elixir package:

"the file build\bdist.win32\egg\elixir\__init__.py could not be opened".

I also have the same problem (but with other function names in the error
message) if I want to step into (again, not step over, since that
works!!!) code that calls functions from the elixir package.

Example:

The following statement:

using_options( tablename='tasks' )

is giving the error:

"The file
f:\appdata\_myprogramdata\programming\python\projects\todo\build\bdist.win32\egg\elixir\statements.py
could not be opened"

Well, of course that file could not be opened, since I don't have it at
that location.  But that file is referenced into the file
"Elixir-0.6.1-py2.6.egg".

If it's not possible to step into such .egg files, would it then be
possible to prevent one from stepping into functions from that kind of
packages?  It would make sense that F7 (step into) then would become
"step over" (= F8) to prevent seeing this message.

--
Best rgds,

Geert