[Eric] Stepping through programs containing package imports which are in .egg format

Geert Vancompernolle geert.eric4 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:02:58 GMT 2009

Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> On Sonntag, 8. März 2009, Geert Vancompernolle wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just installed the package Elixir to be able to follow a nice tutorial I
>> found on the web (http://lateral.netmanagers.com.ar/stories/BBS47.html).
>>
>> After running the command "setup.py install" for the Elixir package, the
>> resulting file is called "Elixir-0.6.1-py2.6.egg" and is stored in the
>> directory <python_installation>/Lib/site-packages.
>>
>> However, while debugging an application that has the "from elixir import
>> *" statement, I get the following error message popping up when trying
>> to step into (not step over, because that doesn't give any problems!!!)
>> the elixir package:
>>
>> "the file build\bdist.win32\egg\elixir\__init__.py could not be opened".
>>
>> I also have the same problem (but with other function names in the error
>> message) if I want to step into (again, not step over, since that
>> works!!!) code that calls functions from the elixir package.
>>
>> Example:
>>
>> The following statement:
>>
>> using_options( tablename='tasks' )
>>
>> is giving the error:
>>
>> "The file
>> f:\appdata\_myprogramdata\programming\python\projects\todo\build\bdist.win3
>> 2\egg\elixir\statements.py could not be opened"
>>
>> Well, of course that file could not be opened, since I don't have it at
>> that location.  But that file is referenced into the file
>> "Elixir-0.6.1-py2.6.egg".
>>
>> If it's not possible to step into such .egg files, would it then be
>> possible to prevent one from stepping into functions from that kind of
>> packages?  It would make sense that F7 (step into) then would become
>> "step over" (= F8) to prevent seeing this message.
>>

> How can the debugger determine, if it would step into such a file?

As said before, I have no experience with such .egg files.  But I can
imagine (again, I"m not sure) that the debugger "knows" it steps into
.py or .pyc files, so if it "sees" it will step into .egg files, ignore it.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Python debugger in Eric4, it's just
a hint.  Having an error and being kicked out (like it is the case now)
is also not an option to me...
--
*Best rgds,

--Geert