[Eric] Extending language support in Eric

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sun May 10 11:32:25 BST 2009

On Samstag, 9. Mai 2009, Pavel Panchekha wrote:
> I'd like to add support in Eric for a programming language I wrote myself,
> Oranj. The language core is written in Python, so it shouldn't be too hard
> to integrate, for example, a parser or console. I'm mainly interested to
> see how I could extend Eric to understand Oranj.
> I know Eric already supports Python and Ruby, so its somewhat
> cross-language already. How hard would it be to add another language? How
> would I go about it?
>
> - Pavel Panchekha

Step 1: Write a language lexer for QScintilla to support syntax highlighting
(Alternative: extend Pygments)
Step 2: Write a parser to support the class browser
Step 3: Write a parser (or reuse the one of step 2) to support source
documentation and API file generation
Step 4: Write a debugger backend in your language for use with the eric IDE
Step 5: Patch the various places that are language specific. (You can search
for Ruby)

detlev at die-offenbachs.de