[Eric] eric4 SIGSEGV

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue May 12 17:46:04 BST 2009

On Dienstag, 12. Mai 2009, Rolf Wester wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed qt-x11-opensource-src-4.5.1, PyQt-x11-gpl-4.4.4,
> QScintilla-gpl-2.3.2 and eric4-4.3.3 (Suse Linux 10.3). When I start
> eric4 I get the outpout:
>
> Warning: translation file 'qt_en_US'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Warning: translation file 'eric4_en_US'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
> Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_en_US'could not be loaded.
> Using default.
>
> Sometimes eric4 subsequently crashes with:
> Segmentation fault
>
> and sometimes it chrashes after doing "Settings"->Preferences"->"OK".
>
> Running:
>
> gdb --args /usr/bin/python
> /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/eric4/eric4.py
>
> gives the output that you can find in the attached file.
>
> I googled for this error and found quite a lot of messages dealing with
> this but no one that showed a solution.
>
> I would very much appreciate any help to get Eric4 running as I would
> really like to use Eric for my Python work.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> Rolf

Hi,

unfortunately I cannot reproduce this problem on my system. According to the
gdb output, it seems to be related to Qt. Did you compile Qt 4.5.1 yourself?
Did you compile all the other software yourself? Did you check, that you
don't have older libraries lying around your system? These could be picked at
runtime and could cause seg faults. I had some of these problems myself.

detlev at die-offenbachs.de