[Eric] Some Template Suggestions

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Tue Jan 5 11:28:19 GMT 2010

I like the template feature in eric4 (latest 4.4 snapshot on Mac OS X).
Especially like the quick keyboard input. Here are some of my suggestions
for additional predefined variables:

$clipboard$
Replaced with any current clipboard contents.

$cur_select$
Replaced with any current text selection. Would only work when
double-clicking the template, which currently deletes any selection. Useful
for wrapping existing code. Would have to accommodate any additional new
indent level.

$insertion$
Sets insertion point for cursor after template is inserted. Usually defaults
to end of template now, though there appears to be a bug in the current
insertion placement calculation.

$select_start$ and $select_end$
Sets span of selected text in template after template is inserted. Good for
making help text in template ready for overwriting.

$py:/absolute/path/to/file.py$
Replaced with executed Python script results, before template is inserted.
Maybe also $py_project:project-root-relative/path/to/file.py$

$dir_project$
Inserts path to script's current project directory (if any). I believe
$dir_name$ is script's parent directory, not project.

I'll try to hack what I can into TemplateViewer.py and submit any diffs if
successful. Adding clipboard, cur_select and dir_project looks
straightforward.

Editing of template contents within a mini editor would be handy as well.

--
Larry

Mac OS X (10.5.8)
Python 2.6.4