[Eric] Eric (4) Python IDE Documentation—Who cares?

Gadget/Steve GadgetSteve at live.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 08:17:46 BST 2011

On 06/07/2011 7:35 PM, Pietro Moras wrote:
> Hi Gadget/Steve,
>    Not bad for a “quick skim”, I've appreciated it.
> As for working on your suggestions, please consider these are my
priorities:
> 1] To get in touch with Eric “Active Users” so to work in team, to the
common benefit. By the way:
> 1.1] I'm already in excellent relations with the Eric's producer. Now
I'd like to extend this collaboration to some users too.
> 1.2] Is there any reason why you have expressed your thoughts
privately, instead of on the Mail List? Reason for may question is
respect for your preferences, in case our dialogue would get on.
Simply hit the wrong button - should have been reply to list.

> 2] To Test & Document other unexplored Eric's features, provided I
find experienced users to work with on them. My first candidate would be
the “Source Code Management”, or “Version Control System”; but I'd
welcome other proposals too.

> 3] To find out a good channel of distribution for the resulting work,
to the benefit of the Eric's user community.

> 4] To take better care of the “editing” quality of the outcome. That
is: good English, effectiveness, readability, ...

> To lure you on this adventure consider that there's involved no money,
hard work and little glory.
> See you.
> - P.M.

Pietro,

One immediate tip for you is that possibly most users of this list, like
many others, prefer bottom posting, i.e. posting at the end - this
allows people to join in in context rather than having to jump about the
text.  The simple reason for the direct reply is hitting the wrong
button - still getting used to Thunderbird.

While I agree that more content is better I have found that getting a
good structure early on saves a lot of work and also makes it possible
for reviewers to focus on areas that they are familiar with.

If you are not looking for lots of money as an outcome possible
distribution channels would include bundling it in with Eric, Simply
publishing it to the web, etc., if you would hope for some remuneration
then take a look at the publishers of other python books, (PythonBooks
<http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonBooks>is a good place to start).

As to the adventure I would be willing to try to assist but have to warn
you that my time is heavily committed.

Gadget/Steve