[Eric] 79 characters per line

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat May 14 09:46:30 BST 2011

On Samstag, 14. Mai 2011, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> i am confused how to set up the Eric4 Editor(German language) especially
> the maximum characters per line. In the settings:
> Style-->Lineend-->Border-->Linewidth
> I setup the linewidth to 80 and the mode to "Draw Line", but it draws a
> vertical line after the 40th character???
> When i change the mode to "Change background color", then it starts to
> change the background color of my lines after an irregular number of
> characters.
>
> Further on seems the vertical line too break when i resize my editor
> window(only when i make it smaller).
>
> Is this a bug or did i something wrong? I need a highlight for maximum
> line width of 79 characters.

Both functions are implemented by the QScintilla editor widget, that is
provided by the QScintilla package. In order to work correctly in the line
drawing mode, the font used to highlight the source must be a monospaced font
because the position of the line is dereived from the width of a space
character. The background color mode should work as expected (at least it does
on all my test environments [various Linux flavours and Win versions]).

If you still observe issues please report them in the QScintilla mailing list

detlev at die-offenbachs.de