[Eric] User-Friendliness of Eric

Alan Ezust alan.ezust at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:55:39 BST 2011

jEdit and Eric have some things in common. They both require the use of
plugins in order to do real "ide-like" things.

I've read complaints from users on both lists that it takes too long to set
up jEdit/Eric because of all the plugins that need to be configured first.

jEdit has no plans to address these complaints, because by default, jEdit is
just an editor, not an IDE, and people use it for very different things.
What some consider an "essential plugin" others may have no use for. But for
jEdit, at least, there are good instructions for how to set up every plugin
that is available with the docs for that plugin.

Anyone who wants to use Eric already wants features like code completion and
refactoring installed and enabled for Python.
I had to search the Eric mailing list archives to find out how to get those
plugins working. The average user should not have to do that.

If I click on the Help menu, I expect to find an "Eric Help" submenu that
will contain instructions for how to set up code completion and refactoring.

Where is the "eric help"?