[Eric] New to this, but a small problem?

Ima Afrotrap afrotrap at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 22:08:36 GMT 2012

(Sorry this is my third send, but I'm not seeing it on the list and not sure if it's even
getting to where I'd sending it even though I'm getting no error messages)

Hi all,

  I'm trying to learn to program (on my own and online since I'm poor as dirt). <mutter>

  I got Eric running (version 4.5.0) with python 2.6.5 on my openSUSE 11.3 system.

  Here's the problem:

  I did this small example in eric:

print "Halt!"
user_reply = raw_input("Who goes there? ")
print "You may pass,", user_reply

  I saved it as halt.py, then in the bottom of eric I clicked on the 'terminal' tab and
typed in 'python halt.py' (w/out the quotes of course). I was *supposed* to get halted,
and asked who goes there. Instead there is nothing, just a blinking cursor waiting for
something. I entered my name for the heck of it and here's what I got:

john at home:~> python halt.py
john
Halt!
Who goes there? You may pass, john

  If I open up a konsole (I use KDE), it works as expected and I'm told to halt and asked
who goes there, I enter my name and I'm told I may pass.

  Is there something wrong with the 'terminal' part of eric? I even 'reset' everything to
stock and it still does it. Is the 'terminal' not supposed to be used like konsole? Anyone
have any idea what I'm doing wrong and a way to fix it so I don't have to have a konsole
open *and* eric?

  Thanks,

  John
--
There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who
is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.  -Theodore Roosevelt,