[PyKDE] QTextDrag::decode

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 3 22:46:39 BST 2000

Pete Ware wrote:

> QTextDrag::decode () takes two arguments, the second is a Qstring &.
> To get that to work with PyQt, I did:
>
>         x = qt.QString()
>         qt.QTextDrag.decode (qt.QApplication.clipboard().data(), x)
>
> I guess what I expected was for the returned QString to be returned as
> part of a tuple.
>
> Is that a reasonable expectation?  In general, how should modified
> parameters that are pass by reference be dealt with?

A perfectly reasonable expectation.  In 99% of cases a class reference
is passing a value to the function - you just found something that falls
into the 1%, and I don't go through the thousands of function
definitions with a fine toothcomb.  In short, a bug.

I think I need a strategy for fixing specific issues like this without
doing a new release every week.  I think I'll release patches to .sip
files (which is all that's needed for most things like this).