[PyKDE] PyQt, Win32, and tmake

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 11:27:19 BST 2000

Randy Weems wrote:

> I just got PyQt-0.12 (and sip-0.12) to build under Win32. It
> took about a week of playing with it in my spare time, but
> all-in-all, it was relatively painless. The biggest problem I
> encountered was the definition of HWND in qwindowdefs.sip. It
> ultimately typedefs HWND to a void *, which works fine if you're
> not building with STRICT defined, but we use the dll version of
> Qt, and we really (_really_) did not want to build Qt without
> STRICT.
>
> I wanted to try changing the .sip files appropriately and
> rebuild the source files, but I couldn't figure out how to get
> sip to execute properly; I immediatly got errors about Version
> not being defined (although, admittedly, I didn't try very hard
> to figure this part out). I ended up hacking together a quick
> and dirty C program that post-processed the source files
> generated by sip and changed the void * (where appropriate) to
> HWND. After that, libqtc.dll built just fine. Is there any sort
> of sip documentation I could look at to do this the right way?
> Is there any way, in the .sip file, to tell sip to not translate
> HWND down to an intrinsic type, but rather to just leave the
> type as HWND?

Can you send me a copy of all the things you did - this should save me
time when I support Windows properly.

(BTW, the current state is that I've done the SIP rework I needed to do
to support multiple versions properly and I've just finished upgrading
all the .sip files for Qt v2.1. Now I'm just debugging.)

> Out of curiosity Phil, have you considered using tmake rather
> than autoconf, et al? Maybe it's just me, but autoconf/automake
> scripts are just this side of  incomprehensible. Plus, correct
> me if I'm wrong, there's no real autoconf/automake on Win32.
> I've been using tmake to build my company's software (both Qt
> based and non-Qt based) on both Linux, Solaris and Win32 without
> a hitch for over a year now. The tmake .pro files are just so
> much simpler. I used tmake to build PyQt-0.12 on Win32, and the
> same .pro files (with some minor clean up) should work just fine
> on an flavor of Unix supported by tmake.

I might be able to use tmake for PyQt, but I can't use it for all the
other tihings I do.