[PyKDE] distributing PyQt programs

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 23:55:21 BST 2000

Philippe Fremy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not subscribed to this list (but I'v browsed the archives) so please
> include my email-adress in replies.
>
> I have just developed a small game with PyQt, and now I want to distribute it.
>
> But I realise that if I just distribute the .py, people will need to have PyQt
> already installed on their system. It wasn't installed on mine, and I couldn't
> find it in my distribution (Suse). So that means that the user should download
> sip, compile & install it, download pyqt, compile & install it.
>
> This is rather a big constraint for just a small game (less than 500 lines),
> especially if you just want to test it. I wonder if there are easier way to
> distribute my program. For example, is it possible to distribute the qt module
> with the .py ? That would make the download bigger, but it would at least make
> the game usable by anyone having Python and Qt on his system (which is quite
> common). Or is the freeze module the only solution ?

The only files needed are...

libsip.so and the file it is symlinked to
libqtcmodule.so and the file it is symlinked to
qt.py

> I also join Wayne who posted here yesterday.
>
> Having PyQt supporting QCanvas would be very good. I intend to write other
> small games and QCanvas seems like the best way to go. Perhaps it could be
> done before any Qt 2.2 port, to have it quickly available separately as a
> special module ?

Not worth it - Qt 2.2 support will be quick (much, much quicker than Qt
2.1 support).

> Having also Qt Designer generating python code would be a must! Looking at my
> programs, PyQt and C++ Qt are very close, so it's perhaps not very difficult !

It took me about 4 hours to get something working - I'll post something
tomorrow (hopefully).