[PyKDE] requested free win32 license from troll

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 29 18:49:12 GMT 2000

Warren Postma wrote:

> I sent a message to the folks at www.troll.no yesterday, requesting a single
> free license of QT for Win32 for the purpose of creating a freely available
> PyQT+a partial PyKDE for Windows as a binary-only distribution.
>
> First, it would be good for them because it would let PyQT widgets be 100%
> portable from Windows to Linux, and secondly, it would get more people on
> Windows familiar with their product and perhaps more people would buy it.

It will be very interesting to see their response because I don't think
their license anticipated things like PyQt and PerlQt.  Their income is
from developers of commercial packages using Qt - you couldn't develop a
commercial Qt program without giving them money. Because you are allowed
to distribute the libraries with your program at no additional cost you
are effectively buying a copy of the header files.

With PyQt you don't need the header files. Only one Qt license needs to
be bought (or gets donated) for everybody on the planet to be able to
develop commercial Qt programs (in Python) without Troll getting a
penny.

On the one hand PyQt could be competition for Troll, on the other hand
it could be a way of getting Qt to a wider audience.

By the way, if anybody wants to donate a Windows C++ development
environment I could properly maintain the port myself.