[PyKDE] RE: PyKDE digest, Vol 1 #528 - 10 msgs

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Dec 7 07:57:28 GMT 2001

On 07-Dec-01 pykde-admin at mats.gmd.de wrote:

> -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96/../../..
> -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96/../../../../i586-mandr
> ake-linux/lib
> -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-mandrake-linux/2.96 -L/usr/lib
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib
> -L/usr/lib/qt2/lib -L/usr/local/lib
> -L/usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages
> /usr/lib/python2.0/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so
> -L/usr/lib/qt2/lib/
> /usr/local/lib/libsip.so -lqt -ldcopc /usr/lib/libDCOP.so -lSM
> -lICE -lX11

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldcopc

> I don't yet know the full structure of KDE so it's a little
> confusing to me. Is it the mandrake distro file structure or
> what ? Can someone help me ?

PyKDE2 can't find your KDE libs. Among all of the "-L" above, there
should be a line that says "-L /opt/kde2/lib" which should be the
path to your KDE2 libs.

./configure should check for this. Near the end of the ./configure
output (or in configure.log) you should find something like:

checking for  library... -L/opt/kde2/lib -lkdecore

where again /opt/kde2/lib should be the path to your KDE2 libs.
Since libDCOP.so should be in the same directory, I suspect you'll
find libdcopc.so in /usr/lib as well. You'll need additional KDE
libs for the later modules, so those should be there as well
(libkdecore, libkdeui, libkfile, libkparts, etc.) Wherever those
are all located on your distribution, you can specify the path by a
'--with_kde_libraries=<your path>'. I haven't tested this, so let
me know if it works. Since you were able to compile that far,
./configure is apparently finding the KDE2 include files with no
problem. This appears to be the only thing missing.

./configure should take care of this - I'm not sure why it adjusted
DCOP but not dcopc, since both are specified with a -l. I'm very
interested in seeing how this works on distributions other than
SuSE (that's all I have), so please post any other
problems/adjustments you find.

Thanks,

Jim