[PyKDE] still, problems install pyqt where I want to

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Thu Feb 1 09:09:51 GMT 2001

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> Phil asked...
> > You have part of the Python installation in /usr/local/lib and other
> > parts in /usr/lib?
>
> python came from debian packages (/usr/lib).  I would like to install swig and
> pyqt/kde into /usr/local so it does not get mixed in packages I have installed
> from debian.

I have the same question (and another), and suspect this issue could
affect any Linux distro's users running multiple versions of Python or
Qt.

Debian's python1.5.2 packages are under /usr, ActivePython-2.0 is in
/usr/local, Qt is 2.2.3 in /usr.  sip and PyQtpre will go into
/usr/local.  python1.5.2 and 2.0 were made to co-exist with:
python -> python1.5, python2.0 -> local/.../bin/python2.0,
and telling all the ActivePython executable scripts to use python2.0.

In addition to Sean's question...

Am I going to need two builds of both sip and PyQt, or can I get away
with building for python2.0 only (i.e., how usable would the resulting
PyQt be with python1.5.2)?

later,

	Bruce