[PyKDE] PyKDE - Is there any more being done on it?

Matt Gerassimoff mgeras at telocity.com
Wed Jan 31 20:37:18 GMT 2001

Phil,

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Phil Thompson wrote:

> Matt Gerassimoff wrote:
> >
> > Phil,
> >
> > On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Phil Thompson wrote:
> >
> > What is that? If I may ask?  I would go along with dropping KDE1
> > support.  The KDE guys no longer support it (I think).  I have been
> > looking at sip currently.  I saw your posts about creating a simple sip
> > shared library and it got me thinking (along with the rest of the mail on
> > the mailing list).  I may be able to help (that is if you want
> > help).  What do you need?
>
> It's to do with the versioning system when you have imported modules.
> You need the ability to relate the versions you specify in one module
> (say kdecore) with the versions you specify in a module it imports (say
> qt). Without this you can generate invalid code. Dropping support for
> KDE1 might keep things simple enough for it not to be a problem.

Why don't you leave the PyKDE version for 1.1 alone and make a PyKDE2
version.  This way, support for KDE1 stays as it always is.  Maybe just
preface each KDE2 library with kde2?  It sounds hackish though.  I know
alot of classes have changed from KDE1 to KDE2.  Also, alot has changed.
Maybe just the relase name: PyKDE for KDE1, PyKDE2 for KDE2 even if they
share the same classes.  No further development for KDE1 would have to be
done.

I guess I would do what requires the least amout of time which seems to be
the resource that is needed.

> > Oh, by the way, is there any way to add support for (operators) in
> > sip?  It would be nice to manipulate things like QPoint with the __add__,
> > __sub__, etc. operators in python.
>
> SIP already supports these - have a look at how QStringList can be
> treated like a Python list. I just haven't used it yet in all the places
> I could.

Yes I looked at QStringList.  It was just a question of how the other ones
are referenced in the .sip module.  I'll look at the sip code.

Matt