[PyKDE] PyKDE2 Status

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Jul 23 01:56:30 BST 2001

I've received a couple messages lately wondering when PyKDE2 will
be released. The answer, as always, is "when it's ready". I'm
sticking my neck out a little here, but I'm hoping to have
something you can all download (and more importantly something
you'll all be able to build) in about two weeks.

You may have noticed Phil's recent announcement of SIP enhancements
- those have been mostly for the benefit of PyKDE2, and I expect
have been some time-consuming, if not difficult, things for Phil to
implement. They're also things neither of us has been able to test
until now, hence the "sticking my neck out" comment.

We've reached the point where it makes sense to update this list
regularly on where we think we are. As of right now, I'll estimate
a release date of Aug 7, and next week I'll post again and let you
know if that date is still good.

Everything is reasonably complete - at worst we'll have maybe 5
classes and a dozen methods incomplete at the initial release that
will be completed at a later date. Those will not hold up the first
release - we're basically working to put together a clean and
reliable build process and eliminate the ugly hacks I've been using
until now.

To prepare for this, you'll need to have Qt 2.3.x, KDE 2.1.x
installed. You'll probably need a new PyQt version (PyKDE2 needs a
few classes not in current PyQt releases), but I'd wait on that
until PyKDE2 is released.

Jim