[PyKDE] RE: PyKDE digest, Vol 1 #519 - 8 msgs

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Nov 29 07:59:55 GMT 2001

On 29-Nov-01 "Chris Bailey" <chris at codeintensity.com> wrote:

> I'd like to build a Kicker applet using Python.  I assume I need
> PyKDE to do this?  (I'm new to KDE and Qt.)  I pulled the PyKDE2
> sources from CVS, but the build instructions say to do the
> typical configure/make/make install, yet there is no configure
> file, etc.

> So, either a) how can I build it? or b) is there a PyKDE .11 RPM?

The CVS requires an extra build step that the tarballs don't
require. There are instructions for building from CVS in the README
that was uploaded to CVS 2 or 3 days ago (thanks to a suggestion
from a list reader). Basically, there is one extra step - in the
top level directory do a 'make build' (no './configure' before or
'make install' after). Then, drop down one level to the second
level PyKDE2 directory and do the usual './configure;make;make
install'.

The first step is necessary because CVS does not contain the
.h/.cpp files needed to build PyKDE2 - the 'make build' step
generates those files (using sip) and also constructs the configure
files and makefile.am files for compiling later on. The tarball
already has this step completed.

> Also, from what I've seen PyKDE is maybe no longer being
> maintained?  Is that true?  Is it what I need to build a panel
> applet?

PyKDE2 (note the '2') is actively in development (although after a
nagging problem for KDE2.2.x that hasn't gone away in 2 days, plus
a foot of snow, and four hours of tractor repair this afternoon
so I could snowblow only to find that the problem was the tractor
was out of gas has been giving me second thoughts - I'll be in a
better mood tomorrow). According to theKompany website, PyKDE (no
'2'!) is not maintained any longer.

The PyKDE2 tarball (which doesn't require the extra build
step/tools above) will be up on theKompany site in the near future.
This version only supports KDE2.1.x. KDE2.2.0 needs a little more
code written which I'll get to as soon as I figure out why it won't
install. I haven't looked yet, but 2.2.1/2.2.2 shouldn't have a lot
of changes from 2.2.0 and if that's true they'll follow closely
behind.

Jim