[PyKDE] Announce PyKDE2 3.0alpha1

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Oct 28 02:05:38 GMT 2001

PyKDE2 3.0alpha1 has been uploaded to CVS. To download from CVS, do
the following from the command line with your target directory as
the current directory:

cvs -d :pserver:guest at cvs.thekompany.com:/public login
(use the password 'guest')

cvs -d :pserver:guest at cvs.thekompany.com:/public checkout sip
cvs -d :pserver:guest at cvs.thekompany.com:/public checkout PyQt
cvs -d :pserver:guest at cvs.thekompany.com:/public checkout PyKDE2

NOTE!!! You want PyKDE2, NOT PyKDE

PyKDE2 REQUIRES sip/PyQt 3.0pre5, which are also only available on
CVS.

The CVS downloads require you to build PyQt and PyKDE2 from the .sip
input files instead of the .cpp files found in the tarballs. For
example, if the directory you downloaded to is /home/me/sip:

/home/me/sip > cd PyKDE2
/home/me/sip/PyKDE2 > make build

(You may have to go into the top level Makefile in PyKDE2 and make
QTSIPDIR point to the sub-directory 'sip' (give the full path)
created when you built PyQt, but everything else should be
automatic)

Then 'cd PyKDE2' (to /home/me/sip/PyKDE2/PyKDE2) and do the usual
./configure
make
(su)
make install

For PyQt, use 'make build-230' or 'make build-231' depending on
your Qt version.

I have been building against KDE2.1.1 and Qt2.3.0. I expect (hope)
KDE2.1.2 and Qt2.3.1 will also work, but haven't tried them yet.
I'm just beginning to do bindings for kparts/khtml/DOM, kspell and
kab, and after those are complete, will begin moving on to new KDE
versions (2.2 and up). Notice there aren't any target dates.

The PyKDE2 tarball (and similar sip and PyQt 3.0 tarballs) will be
available in a few weeks, as Phil indicated previously.

Sorry if my CVS activity created a lot of list traffic - the last
import was because I forgot a '-' on one line in a Makefile. I did
a checkout and build after the last CVS import, and it builds fine
for me. Phil sent me a script that does the neat comments when he
does CVS activity, but I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Jim