[PyKDE] PyQt distro support?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Sep 2 14:58:10 BST 2001

Doug Bell <doug101 at xecu.net> wrote:

> This is just a general question, but maybe someone can offer some
> insight.  Why is there so little support of PyQt from the major
> Linux distributions?  There are very few RPM's for PyQt out
> there.  I found none for 2.5, and the few that exist for 2.4 are
> not actually part of any major distributions.  I didn't check
> into deb's, but the situation there is probably similar.

SuSE has included PyQt and sip RPMs at least since 7.1 (it's at 7.2
now), but they're still at 2.4. SuSE also has a PyQt RPM
included on their FTP site in the same area as KDE2.2 (but again
it's 2.4). I haven't tried the SuSE RPM's on any other distro - the
dependencies shouldn't be a problem, but directory setup might be
(?)

There is a spec file included with the PyQt download (it's in the
toplevel directory). I haven't done much with building RPM's, so I
can't say if it's sufficient for constructing a package.

An email to your favorite distribution asking them to package and
maintain a current version of PyQt/sip might help.

> I really like PyQt, and I haven't had any trouble getting it
> compiled from source on my machine.  But that's a lot to expect
> of a casual user who might want to download one of my programs
> for a test-run.

I agree it's likely to be confusing for newbies. In the absence of
RPMs, I'd suggest that if you're distributing a PyQt-based program
(or sip-based for that matter), you include instructions on where
to obtain PyQt/sip and how to install it (including the new
versioning setup).

RPMs are going to be even more important for PyKDE2, since the build
times are very long - over an hour just for the basic modules - and
there will probably be optional modules (khtml, kparts, and other
stuff).

> Is this expected to change in the near future?  Maybe the release
> of PyKDE2 will provide the necessary visibility.  Or will it
> actually become part of KDE?

I can only speak for PyKDE2 - it's unlikely to become an "official"
part of KDE for a number of reasons (I'd *guess* the same is true
for PyQt/sip). In the case of PyKDE2, the biggest problem (other
than even getting it released in the first place) is keeping it
current with the most recent stable KDE release. PyKDE2 is being put
together with an awareness of that problem, and there has been some
work to develop tools to make the turnaround quicker. Once the
final sip problems affecting PyKDE2 are resolved (there are only
2 or 3 issues remaining, and I need to get that info to Phil) it
should be possible to produce releases more quickly and expand to
cover more of the KDE libraries beyond the basic 5 or 6 being
covered at the moment.

*Once we can show we have fully operational code*, I think we should
pursue a more "official" relationship with KDE, perhaps something
similar to the release schedules of KOffice or KDevelop, which
don't release in sync with the rest of KDE. I've had a few
preliminary exchanges with people associated with KDE and plan to
pursue that once PyKDE2 is no longer vaporware. We probably should
pursue better visibility within the Python organization too - this
mailing list is now referenced on the Python site for example, but I
expect most Python programmers aren't aware of PyQt/PyKDE yet. The
availability of PyKDE2 is important for visibility in a
psychological sense, but from the standpoint of functionality, PyQt
3.0 is even more important IMHO.

Just a quick update on PyKDE2: CVS access is set up at theKompany,
but I haven't uploaded yet. FTP will probably be there also. I
haven't been able to do much on PyKDE2 the last 7 to 10 days, but
will be back on it "full time" after the Monday holiday here. The
mailing list will get first notice of release.

Jim