[PyKDE] quirks of sip-2.5 on Windows

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 16:12:52 BST 2001

Gerard Vermeulen wrote:

> On Friday 21 September 2001 02:00, Phil Thompson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > (2) sip on Windows uses \ instead of / as path-separator in the
> > > fully qualified filenames in the #include and #line directives.
> > > MSVC does not accept this and I have to process the sip generated code
> > > to fix this (easy, of course, but...).
> >
> > I'm confused - can you send me a simple example? sip doesn't do anything
> > with path separators and I build PyQt for Windows using MSVC with no
> > problems.
> >

> Today, I only saw it in the #line directives. I am running sip from a
> distutils based setup.py script to build PyQwt. It called sip like:
>
> C:\MyStuff\sip-2.5\sip\sip.exe -I sip -I C:\MyStuff\PyQt-2.5\sip -c qwt
> -t Qt_2_3_0 sip\qwt.sip
>
> If I change this to
>
> C:\MyStuff\sip-2.5\sip\sip.exe -I sip -I C:/MyStuff/PyQt-2.5/sip -c qwt
> -t Qt_2_3_0 sip/qwt.sip
>
> it works.
> You might call it a feature, but I think it is bug: I used os.join() because
> it is supposed to guarantee portable code.

I don't think the bug is in SIP, it's just using the file name you
passed on the command line - it doesn't interpret it in any way. If you
are saying that MSVC doesn't allow #line "sip\qwt.sip" then I think
that's a bug in MSVC.

> I understand if you don't want to bother, but if I send you a patch, will you
> apply it?
>
> Gerard
>
> PS: can nmake do something like
> nmake -DVERSION="2.5"
> I tried and failed.

Putting the version number is an easy enough thing to do - just not at
the top of my list of priorities.