[PyKDE] Re: Help getting started with applets

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Apr 11 23:13:09 BST 2002

On 11-Apr-02 ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> We are actually talking about this in KDE.  The current plan is
> to make a wrapper KPart and Kicker applet that will load PyKDE
> applets...

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

> I am not sure what the progress on this is.

> I can crank out a kicker applet in about 5 min, the hard part
> would be loading the pyqt code.  is anyone here an embedding
> expert that would want to attack at least kicker applets with
> me first?

statement in the script you want to run. You'd want to load Python
scripts - not PyQt or PyKDE2 code especially. It's not necessary
for the KPart/applet to know anything about PyQt or PyKDE2. You
could probably write applets with Tk, PyGTK or wxWindows too - I
assume applets have their own event loop, which is the only major
consideration I can think of.

> if we can do a kicker applet any kpart would be trivial.

I already have a working KPart, so the kicker applet won't be a lot
of work. I just need to find the time to write it up. As far as I
can see, KDE already has all the necessary machinery to implement
this except the Python specific stuff.

There are some potential problems (concurrency), but probably
nothing major.

Jim