[PyKDE] Mac OS/X State

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 1 20:27:00 BST 2002

Peter Kropf wrote:

> I've looked through the archives and it appears that SIP and PyQT may have
> been working at one point but that support was removed around May-ish 2002.
> Since I'm interested in getting one of our PyQT applications working on
> OS/X, I'd like to find out where things stand. Does anyone have anything
> working? There's a reference to SIP v4 in the SIP 3.3.1 NEWS file. Is work
> being done on it? And lastly, if someone were motivated enough, what would
> they have to do to SIP to allow it to work on OS/X? Any pointers?

It was never working. The problem is that shared libraries and
dynamically loadable modules/plugins are, strictly speaking, different
things. However, SIP generated code is used as both a shared library and
a loadable module - and, incidentally, breaks the Python "rules" for
modules. So far this hasn't actually been a problem because UNIX and
Windows can deal with it - OS/X can't.

The plan is that SIP v4 will generate code that is only used as a
loadable module - which should then work with OS/X. I know what I want
to do - but as it's more than a simple patch, it's a question of finding
the time.

I imagine that I'd start work on SIP v4 towards the end of September,
with initial releases towards the end of October - but very much
depending on my other commitments at the time. However, as I always say,
  my priorities can always be changed if people start waving money at me.