[PyKDE] Root vs. non-root builds

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Aug 23 21:01:01 BST 2002

On 23-Aug-02 Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina wrote:

> I've compiled PyKDE applying the second patch I sent to the list
> this morning. No problems so far. I did:

> python2.1 build.py
>       -d /the/fake/inst/directory/while/building/package
>         -s /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages

> So, now it looks for sip and PyQt modules at
> /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages, and installs PyKDE's modules at
> the other directory. Without that tiny change, build.py would
> search for libtq* on the PyKDE installation path.

OK - here's what works for PyKDE ---

In each of the module level Makefiles, change the following lines:

all: Makefile   /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/$(TARGET)

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/$(TARGET):  $(UICDECLS)\
    $(OBJECTS) $(OBJMOC) $(SUBLIBS)

install: all

all: Makefile    $(UICDECLS) $(OBJECTS) $(OBJMOC) $(SUBLIBS)

/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/$(TARGET):

install: all   /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/$(TARGET)

This changes it to a "standard"  make - su - make install
instead of su - make - make install and it seems to work fine
(although I haven't tested/examined the results real thoroughly
yet).

I also haven't looked at sip or PyQt yet (Phil would need to change
those anyway), but for PyKDE the changes should be easily
scriptable in build.py. I also need to examine how this affects
rebuild.py, but I think the main difference there will be that it
won't link everything twice.

The patch is still a few days off - it'll probably be a new release
(PyKDE-3.3.2-4) I'll also review Ricardo's patches and see if I can
do something that makes sense for Debian. Steve - let me know if
you need any other changes for FreeBSD.

I didn't think it would be this easy (OTOH, I don't have a working
script for this yet either).

Jim