[PyKDE] Place to upload RPMs

Marc Schmitt littlewisp at gmx.net
Sat Aug 24 20:57:00 BST 2002

On Samstag, 24. August 2002 19:58, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> Lovely, lovely. I just wrote a bit of that same play in perl a few days

Ehm, didn't meant to immitate you  :)

> ago. I'll spare you all the agony or seeing perl code, and let you know
> that a Rose by any other name does in fact smell just as sweet. Of course,
> in python, a rose by any other name may in fact be the same rose...

Ok, I really tried it. But with all imagination - the only smell my python
reminds me of is pringles cheese & onion ...

> Has anyone thought of moving over to FSF's free version of Sourceforge -
> http://savannah.gnu.org/? At least we won't have to worry about
> a-certain-company-that-used-to-have-linux-in-its-name doing something
> nasty...

Primarily I don't care where a project is hosted, if has a high availability
and some sophisticated interfaces to maintain it. Savannah seems to be a
sourceforge-fork, so the interfaces are likely to be the same. I don't know
anything about sf's availabilty but I haven't had any problems accessing
them, from savannah I have no experience at all (but I guess they have a good
connection too).

But personally I've two points that make me savannah.gnu.org a little
"suspect". First the colors. I really, really don't like them. The whole page
looks like mud, pale brown boxes "nailed" together. Though sf has more ads,
it looks much brighter and more open - and I can read the text better.
Another, more imporant point, is "gnu" itself. Yes, I *know* open source
leads to better and more trustworthy code, and I do use lot's of tools they
maintain, but I consider myself more as "Mercutio" then "Friar Lawrence" -
and the gnu guys are some sort of priests.

In the end it probably won't matter where it's really going (and i won't
complain (i don't even have the right to) if it moves to savannah) but just
very personally I had a better feeling to see it at sf.

> But using Sourceforge (or a savannah) will be really nice because the
> admins (Like Jim or Phil) could *assign* someone to keep the latest
> releases on the site whenever they come up with a new version. Also, the
> cvs and bug tracking facilities, not to mention the email list archiving is
> useful as well. It'll leave Phil and Jim more hackin' time, and let us who
> aren't as wizardly do something useful.

full ack.

Jim, the packages are up now. I had to resubmit pykde, and appended a -1
suffix after the package name - just take the larger one of both.

-Marc