[PyKDE] RedHat Text Display Issue

Doug Bell doug101 at xecu.net
Sat Aug 31 03:09:01 BST 2002

Two users of my TreeLine program have had problems with the display of
text in text edit and list view widgets.  Both are using RedHat 7.3.
Here's the description from one of the users:

    Yes the program is running, and appears to do everything properly,
    but the text is messed up. Between every letter there is the outline
    of a square box. Some sort of place holder I presume. The program
    does see these artifacts as actual letters. If, for example, you
    type in the word Tree, it looks fine as you type it. When you click
    to accept, the letters become separated by the squares and the
    string length remains at 4. The last 2 letters are lost.

Many others have used my program without seeing this issue.  My program
uses unicode, including the strategy from Boudewijn Rempt's book of
saving the sys.setdefaultencoding in sitecustomize.py and setting the
encoding to utf-8.

If anyone wants to test the program, it can be found at
<http://www.xecu.net/dougbell/treeline>.

Any ideas?

Doug.