[PyKDE] ANN: SIP/PyQt v3.5 & QScintilla v0.3 Released

Michael Lauer mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Fri Dec 13 15:59:00 GMT 2002

Am Fre, 2002-12-13 um 02.11 schrieb Phil Thompson:
> > Could you give me a hint how to wrap QCopEnvelope? I need
> > it for our project since calling /opt/QtPalmtop/bin/qcop is way to slow.
[...]

I have wrapped QCopEnvelope with success.

> There shouldn't be any problem implementing the << operator by providing an
> __lshift__ method in the same way that __iadd__ is implemented for
> QSemaphore.

I overlooked that QCopEnvelope is derived from QDataStream. QDataStream
doesn't implement the << and >> operators, but provides writeBytes(),
which should be sufficient... if there wasn't a problem concerning the
data bytes.

One example: Sending a QCOP message without parameters works very good,
e.g. the following code make an hourglass appear on the taskbar
("del e" is neccessary, because the QCopEnvelope sends its message in
the C++ destructor):

e = qtpe.QCopEnvelope( "QPE/System", "busy()" )
del e

Very good. Sending a QCOP message with parameters also works fine, when
the receiver is PyQt, e.g.

e = qtpe.QCopEnvelope( "QPE/Application/elan", "message()" )
e.writeBytes( "HelloWorld!" )
del e

works also as expected.

Now the case which does not function: The following code _should_ make a
string appear on the TaskBar (it's basically the same what
Global::statusMessage() does):

e = qtpe.QCopEnvelope( "QPE/TaskBar", "message(QString)" )
e.writeBytes( "HelloWorld!" )
del e

But the only thing I get is garbage on the taskbar. The message seems to
be received, but somehow the data is not "marshalled" or interpretated
correctly. Or could it be possible (since the message is sent inside the
destructor) that the corresponding char* has been deleted or overwritten
before it is accessed by the QCopEnvelope?

Yours,

--
:M:
Dipl.-Inf. Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
mickey at tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
  Raum 10b - ++49 69 798 28358       Fachbereich Informatik und Biologie