[PyKDE] Re: PyKDE2 alpha 3 Available

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Feb 8 18:42:13 GMT 2002

On 08-Feb-02 Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef at web.de> wrote:
> Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef at web.de> writes:

>> - More serious is a make error in the dcop directory, because of
>> ld not finding the "dcopc" library (-ldcopc is in
>>   libdcopxmodule_ls_LIBADD, an in various other places in
>>   different
>>   directories). Indeed, there isn't any libdcopc anywhere on my
>>   system. Where should it be/ come from?
>
> For fun, I tried to just remove -ldcopc from the Makefiles (in
> dcop,kdebase, kdeui, kio and kfile), and... it worked! It seems
> to pass almost all implemented tests, including the DCOP ones.

I looked at this and it didn't look like fun :), but THANKS! -
that's above and beyond the call of duty and it's nice to know it
compiles with both FreeBSD and KDE2.2.2. The next alpha version
(alpha4) will fix this. I already put you in the THANKS file for
the first post - don't know what more I can say but thanks again.

> The only non-trivial failure (like those due to the fact that I
> haven't KWrite on my Desktop or in /opt/kde2/bin) was an
> exception in the KAccel test:

I'll look at fixing the KWrite part too.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "testkdecore.py", line 163, in testKAccel
>     self.ked.insertLine ("   aCurrentKeyCode = " + str (tuple
> [0]))
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/kdecore.py", line
> 508, in __getattr__
>     return libkdecorec.sipCallGetVar(81,self,name)
> AttributeError: __getitem__
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "testkdecore.py", line 163, in testKAccel
>     self.ked.insertLine ("   aCurrentKeyCode = " + str (tuple
> [0]))
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/kdecore.py", line
> 508, in __getattr__
>     return libkdecorec.sipCallGetVar(81,self,name)
> AttributeError: __getitem__

I haven't looked at this lately - I believe the problem is due to
changing some stuff from a sip "MappedType" to a Python class
(almost all C++ structs should now be implemented as Python classes
in PyKDE2).

The 'test' stuff just covers some of the handwritten code at the
moment and since the handwritten stuff is all pretty similar it's a
good indication to me that I'm talking to the siplibs intelligbly.

I have some apps I use that depend on the basic interface stuff
(kdecore, kdeui, kfile and a little of kio), so I test far enough
to know that the basic functionality is there. If anyone is
interested in contributing code to test things, it would be a big
help - there's a lot here. The same goes for demo apps or templates
to make it easier for people to start using PyKDE2. I'll get to
some of this eventually, but probably not all of it and probably
not soon. The bug above probably won't get fixed for a while but
I'll at least verify the cause in the near future.

I'm pretty confident about the kdecore/kdeui/kfile stuff working.
I'm not as confident about things like DCOP, KParts and haven't
gotten to khtml yet (I will eventually as I need it for something I
want to write). It would help too if someone familiar with the
latter topics could review what's there, test it, or even write a
simple demo - I'm not even sure I understand how KDE uses some of
this stuff at the moment, and some parts are still not implemented.

Contributions in any of these areas get your name in the 'Authors'
file. You can email me anything up to about 1MB.

> However, it rocks. Thanks!

I'll agree with that, since I didn't really create this. The people
who do Python, Qt, KDE and Phil (who does sip and PyQt) have
created a really great environment to work in.

Jim

PS: For some reason my replies seem to take an extra day to post to
the 'digest', which is how I read this list. I don't know if
they're taking longer to get out as individual messages, but I'm
trying to remember to reply directly to posters as well. Apologies
to posters if you're getting duplicate replies.