[PyKDE] PyKDE2/KDE2.2.x Build Version?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Feb 13 04:05:01 GMT 2002

For various reasons (I can explain if anyone is interested) the
plan is to release one PyKDE2 tarball for each KDE 'level': 2.1.x,
2.2.x and 3.0 (future). For PyKDE2, the Qt version can be anywhere
from 2.3.0 to 2.3.2.

For the KDE 2.1.x level, I'll build the tarball for KDE 2.1.1,
since I don't have a working version of 2.1.2 (the SuSE ftp
version is broken, as are several others I've looked at) and the
difference is IIRC one element in one enum. It'll build against
2.1.2 anyway.

For KDE 3.0 (when it's done), the choice is pretty easy, but for
the KDE 2.2.x level, I can build for 2.2.0, 2.2.1 or 2.2.2. It
really makes no difference to me. There are enough differences
between versions that I think KDE 2.2.2 is the best choice, but I
also realize that none of the current Linux distributions ship with
KDE 2.2.2 and users would be required to upgrade (if you haven't
already). I also think the upgrade makes sense. Finally, whatever
version I choose now is probably the one I'll stick with in the
future (I don't want to take methods away once they've been
released in the 'standard' version). However, 2.2.0 is the least
common denominator and will build against anything (but doesn't
support the added methods).

So -- *unless* there are a lot of objections, the next release (in
the next few days) will be for KDE2.1.1 and KDE2.2.2. This will
include all known bug-fixes as of right now. It's still possible to
download the CVS and build against any Qt/KDE combination you want,
but the tarballs are much more convenient (once the CVS is updated,
anyway).

Speak now, or forever hold your peace! I need responses in the next
couple of days, as I will be uploading *soon*. (I would've asked
sooner, but I didn't think I get it done this quick).

Jim

PS: alpha5 for KDE2.2.1 was done yesterday, but won't be released -
the next release will be alpha6.