[PyKDE] Managing more than one installation of PyQt/Sip concurrently

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Wed Feb 20 13:45:43 GMT 2002

Here's my problem now. I got PyQt 3.0, sip 3.0 compiled against Python 2.1
and Python 2.2. I really like Python 2.2, so when I write something for Linux
users, I use Python 2.2. However, I am running a project that uses PyQt
heavily, and it needs to work for Windows users, which only have the PyQt for
Python 2.1 available, so I got that compiled for Python 2.1 as well. I can
set /usr/local/python to point to either /usr/local/bin/python2.1 or
/usr/local/bin/python2.2 and everything works great (because python2.1 uses
/usr/local/lib/python2.1 and python2.2 uses /usr/local/python2.2).

Now I want to have both v3.1pre2 and v3.0 available to both Python2.1 and
Python2.2. How would I go about switching those two out? I imagine I could
just do "make install" from the appropriate src directory (that already has
'./configure && make' run in it), but is there a better way?

I am, of course, running Linux.

Jonathan