[PyKDE] ANN: SIP/PyQt 3.3rc3

James Grant jamesg at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 4 23:39:00 BST 2002

On Thu, 04 Jul 2002 20:31, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> On 04-Jul-02 John R. Marshall wrote:
> > Please don't!
> >
> > I just tried it on a Pentium 1 233 with 288 MB memory (+ 128 MB
> > swap) and I used up all the swap room and my box just sat there
> > and ground away for about an hour until i killed make. :-(
> >
> > Looks like it's the old 8+ hour way for me.
> I would have thought 288MB would be sufficient, especially with
> 128MB swap. Is there any way you can free more RAM? Like shutting

gcc seems to use alot more RAM with some optimizations turned on. With heaps
of optimizations turned on here (-O3, -fomit-frame-pointer, -march=pentiumpro
etc.) the process takes well over 300 megs and needs to be killed.

Turn some of those off and it only goes to about 160 megs and compiles fine.
--
James.