[PyKDE] PyQt "Binary" compatibility

Doug Bell doug101 at xecu.net
Sat Mar 9 18:03:24 GMT 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 11:26:01PM -0500, Yannick Gingras wrote:

> I was wondering, since I don't have a Windows system to test it, if a PyQt
> script developed under Linux can work on the spot on a Windows system and if
> it's easy to package a few C++ compiled widgets in an installation package.
>
> Has anyone experienced with it ?

I don't have experience with C++ extensions on Windows, but, in
general, PyQt programs port very easily, with few differences in
behavior.  See <http://www.xecu.net/dougbell/> for some examples with
files for both systems.

> What has to be included in a binary package, Qt, PyQt and Python ?

Yes, but check out py2exe
<http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/> - it does a good job
of reducing the files to be distributed.  Also, like Phil said, be
careful of Qt's license restrictions.

Doug.