[PyKDE] PyKDE2-3,0-beta1 Release Ready

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sun Mar 17 08:32:11 GMT 2002

The next release of PyKDE2 is (hopefully) complete. I'm doing a
final test compile/install now on all three versions, and then will
need to package and upload the tarballs, so it may still be several
days before the packages ae available to you for download.

There are basically 4 packages:

PyKDE2-3.0-2.1.1beta1.tar.gz - for KDE2.1.1/2.1.2 and Qt2.3.x

PyKDE2-3.0-2.2.2beta1.tar.gz - for KDE2.2.2 and Qt2.3.x

PyKDE2-3.0-3.0b2beta1.tar.gz - for KDE3.0beta2 and Qt3.0

PyKDE2-3.0-generic-beta1.tar.gz - see below for details.

All require sip 3.0/PyQt 3.0 to be already installed. These will
NOT work with any other sip or PyQt versions.

These versions include a large number of bug fixes, two new
modules (kdesu for all versions, kdeprint for versions greater than
KDE2.2.0) as well as support for using KParts in PyKDE2 apps. I
don't believe it's possible at the moment to write KParts or
plugins using PyKDE2, but I'll be looking into that next. There are
also a couple of very small examples using KParts and KHTMLPart (it
is possible to build a web browser with 4 additional lines of code,
but you have to edit the program to change URLs or follow links).
You may need to edit the path in these examples for them to work.

The 'generic' tarball is for a) people who need a PyKDE2 version
for KDE2.2.0 or KDE2.2.1; b) people who want to investigate, alter,
hack or whatever the basic PyKDE2 package. The generic version does
not include the generated .h/.cpp files, but is the file set/tools
used to produce the .h/.cpp files for PyKDE2. The same basic file
set is used for all versions.

The 'generic' version depends on specific versions of the GNU tools
(automake, autoconf, libtool, sgmltools - see the README) and
includes an ugly hack for generating bindings for global functions
in namespaces (ugly, but it works). This is the replacement for the
CVS - CVS will no longer be supported/available for new releases of
PyKDE2. 'generic' also includes a small 'build' utility which
should make it unnecessary to edit make/configure files.

If you use the KDE3.0beta2 version, be sure that the path to the
KDE3 libs is in either /etc/ld.so.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH depending
on your system. You may need to run ldconfig after making changes.

As usual, bug reports are eagerly anticipated. I mean that
seriously - I don't have sufficient testing put together for this
yet and the project is very large (over 300 input files generating
over 6000 C++ files), so user input is extremely helpful. I'm also
interested in missing methods, doc errors/omissions, etc. or
anything else you think would improve the project. Bug reports on
this list are preferred, as more input is available then and
everyone becomes aware of the problems.

Jim