[PyKDE] Multithreading in PyQT

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Wed May 8 14:51:01 BST 2002

Jonas Zaveckas wrote:

> Hello
> I'm new with PyQT and QT also.
> I've problem with multithreaded application. My application gathers data
> from TPC/IP socket and passed it to GUI. Data is aquired on separate
> thread (used python module thread). From that thread event is emited to
> GUI windows (derived fom QWidget). After received big amount of data
> packets GUI becomes freezed. I've tried  to use
> QApplication.lock()/unlock() - does not help.
> How can arrange data transfering to GUI part?

You are trying to mix two thread implementations. This is possible, but
see the notes on threading in the PyQt HTML documentation.

I'd recommend just using the Qt thread classes.

If you want to use any of the Qt threading classes, make sure you are
running PyQt v3.2 as they were fundamentally broken in earlier versions.