[PyKDE] Compile speed-up

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri May 24 16:14:01 BST 2002

I tried Ricardo Cardenes build patch earlier tonight (basically
cat'ing all of the cpp files together for each module, plus some
adjustments to the Makefiles) and the compile time for PyKDE (KDE3
- same machine both cases) went from 51 minutes to 8 minutes.
That's on an Athlon 1900/1GB DDR RAM. The khtml module went from
over 20 min to under 2 (not much code, but lots of classes/files).

I would expect the improvement would be substantial on almost any
machine with enough memory not to swap - probably 128MB or slightly
more, depending on what's running (just a guess). I'll post figures
for an 800MHz machine when I do a modified build on one.

There are still a few kinks to work out (mostly my bugs), but I
expect to include this in the next PyKDE release.

Jim