[PyKDE] Kudos and Questions from a New Convert

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Nov 20 20:48:01 GMT 2002

"Ken Godee" <ken at perfect-image.com> writes:

> programing to end results. I personally don't know why anyone would
> use any other python gui combo! wx,gtk,tk etc. (except for lic.
> issues) and I definitely posted this on the python list as well!

I completely agree with you about the power of PyQt, but I can give a
reason why I probably won't use it for any of my "mainstream" code in
the near future: installation. If my code uses PyQt, then every user
must install Qt and PyQt, both of which are not entirely trivial and
require a C++ compiler, which not everybody has. Moreoever,
compatibility between versions is not perfect, not all code for Qt 2
works with Qt 3. For any supported code, I'd rather avoid the
resulting support overhead and stick with Tk.

> > (6) Regarding the online book on PyQt development, is
> > it available in an easily dowloadable form somewhere?
> > I'd like to print it out and read it at leisure rather
> > than staring at the screen all day!

You can use wget to download the HTML code. I keep it on my
Zaurus for on-the-road-programming :-)

Konrad.