[PyKDE] Kudos and Questions from a New Convert

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Wed Nov 20 22:00:00 GMT 2002

> > programing to end results. I personally don't know why anyone would
> > use any other python gui combo! wx,gtk,tk etc. (except for lic.
> > issues) and I definitely posted this on the python list as well!
>
> I completely agree with you about the power of PyQt, but I can give a
> reason why I probably won't use it for any of my "mainstream" code in
> the near future: installation. If my code uses PyQt, then every user
> must install Qt and PyQt, both of which are not entirely trivial and
> require a C++ compiler, which not everybody has. Moreoever,
> compatibility between versions is not perfect, not all code for Qt 2
> works with Qt 3. For any supported code, I'd rather avoid the
> resulting support overhead and stick with Tk.

Since I'm a newbee........
So one, your assuming everyone has python and Tk installed
already but not Qt/PyQt?
Can't you compile static libs/apps with Qt/PyQt or use something
like "installer" for linux or Py2exe for windows?
I know this can create large files sometimes, but that hasn't
been a problem on any of todays systems.
I haven't got around to it yet, but was just assuming I could
do something of that nature to share Qt/PyQt apps with other
people that may not have it installed.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.